When In Roam

Carl Chu's Food & Travel Blog

Friday, July 06, 2007

B Plus for explus: Denver to Memphis in a CR7

This was my first time flying in an explus aircraft, United Express’s 66-seat regional jet fitted with six first class seats. Since its introduction in 2004, I have not had the opportunity to travel to a city served by explus. Until now. I flew from Denver to Memphis on my way to the Mississippi Delta.

I have always enjoyed United’s marketing of explus. The illustrated ads are especially appealing, like the one showing passengers sitting on a big butterfly flittering around the sky. The message of the ad is simple: flying can still be fun and fanciful. Never mind the lost bags, air traffic delays, and being packed like sardines to the back of the plane. This regional jet flight is unlike any other.

Oh really. But I try not to be that skeptical as I stepped into the CRJ-700 for the first time. I had the “A” seat in Row 1, which I liked immediately because there was so much leg- and headroom. I say headroom because the older CRJ-200s, which are built out of the same fuselage but with the floor set higher, feel more cramped even to a 5’8” short guy like me.

And having first class was definitely nice. There was even a light meal despite the fact that the galley is not equipped with an oven. Once we reached cruising altitude, the flight attendant came through first with a beverage, and then went back to prepare the snack box. I liked how the contents were arranged like a bouquet.

I normally do not like pre-prepared foods, but some of the stuff in the snack box was pretty tasty. The pretzel sticks dipped in honey-mustard were delightful, especially the punch from the mustard seeds. I am more surprised by the tinned pasta salad. Whether or not the fact that it was manufactured in France made any difference, the pasta was neither soggy nor oily, and the flavors of the mushrooms, olives, beans and herbs all tasted distinct and vibrant.

It’s not a mainline jet, but flying on thinner routes, explus gets a B Plus.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home